Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Drama continues


I'm a lazy blogger, which will do my brand more harm in the future than not. Although I like to think that if you don't have anything good to say, rather shut the fuck up!  

The last few months have reinforced to me and to my universe that I am not destined for a space of mediocrity in this world of infinite possibility. I got retrenched from my 9 to 5 at the end of September. There was no mincing of words, just 'we regret to inform you that we can longer fund your project so we have been forced to let you go blah, blah, blah...' Our whole department was let go. I don't blame them, these are hard times and everyone seems to be feeling the pinch from the recession. This of course doesn't put me in a great position or it does... I have two choice 'sink' or 'swim'. Actually I have a third choice too. I could choose to thrive. Thrive like the honey bees in spring. Thrive like the prize fighter. Thrive like my life depends on it. Thrive like nothing else matters in the world. The dire need for a salary or the security trap as I like to look at it has taught me a number of valuable lessons. A salary does not put you in a position of power. Your choices are limited to your means and your boss will always  be a bigger dick than you realise.  

No more bitching and moaning... In July I shot my second feature film since 'uMalusi' which is now out on DVD.  The film is called 'A Small Town Called Descent'. Written and directed by Jahmil XT. Qubeka, my long childhood brother from another mother, the feature tackles some important South African issues like racism, xenophobia and greed all while taking you on an entertaining dramatic journey into the dynamics of small backward towns. Three Scorpion Detectives are sent to the Karoo to a small town called Descent to investigate a tragic killing during the 2008 xenophobic attacks. What they find there proves to be more than theyvbargained for and it takes their combined expertise and guile to overcome the real enemy in Descent. I star as Smilo, a young rugby player whose team also happens to be the resident evil in Descent. The movie is set for release at the beginning if 2010. 

I recently also featured in an ad for White Star Super Maize Meal. Not the most aspiring of jobs, I keep wondering whether it will benefit or crutch my career. On one had the brand appeals to the mass market and could start to grow a nice following in the township what with uMalusi being raw like that, but on the other it could result in the high end brands not particularly hiring me for bigger paying jobs at the risk of associating themselves with that.  Oh well, we'll have to wait and see. Breaking down stereotypes might have to become my new forte. 

Shortly after that I shot a print ad for Buondi Coffee where a bunch of us are painting our new apartment in the colour of love... We end up splashing paint all over ourselves which turned out to be a gang load of fun. 






I'm currently working on a short film which is headed for the Berlin Film festival called "And Last Night Was Her Name" and looking for a new job.  





Outside of that, I've been Honchoing it around... I went to Jozi last Thursday for the launch of the Mash Up which featured head honcho collaborated work with DJ Milkshake, Teboho Mahlatsi and the IVY League boys. Head honcho turned the Joburg house upside your head and i was there to capture the fun and games. There were number of beautiful snooty look-at-me-types and the cream of satellite TV and radio celebrity crop dropped in to give the event a nod of approval. The Head Honcho sponsored bubbly featured in a number of scenes making sure to leave the right impression on the sterling reputation the Honcho boys have been leaving all over the country. The baby's gone from a toddler to a teen on just about no time at all. This is the power of living progressively.  




No comments: